Friday, December 29, 2023

Review: The Forever War

The Forever War The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

There is no story in this book. It has a lot of ideas but there is no actual story in the book. Towards the end it starts throwing out random ideas there none to us but were never mentioned earlier in the story. The problem with it is that it has the same kind of structure as an Author C Clarke story. If you read a Clarke book you'll see that it has a ton of ideas but the characters are one dimensional and there is barely a story in the book at all. Those books are mostly idea and concept books. They are well written ideas and concepts so they work well. In this book it's not the case as the book is devoid of a story beyond humans fighting a vague enemy. If you like that kind of story Starship Troopers does a much better job with that idea. I see why people claim that it's great but they are wrong. There's nothing here but a bunch of ideas thrown out over and over again in a senseless manner. I didn't hate this book but it was very annoying to try and come back to this book. In the end I just forced my way through it. There are more books in this series but I don't look forward to reading those after reading this dumb book.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment